Wednesday, December 22, 2010

DE Battle Report 1250 pts 12-18 RTT Game 2

Game 2 Tau

This game was against a very good player. We have a 1 and 1 record in tournies so far with my victory over his Lysander SM with my Stern lead Daemon hunters and his victory with IG chimera/vendetta/mystic spam vs my no meph hybrid Blood Angels. I looked forward to the match and only wish that I played on a table with a bit more terrain.

I have to say right now that my opponent made one very large mistake. He asked me where my reserves come on and I while standing in the middle of the table patted the table edge with my right hand. My opponent took this to mean that I could only come on in my spearhead zone.(he would pay for this wrong assumption)

Tau List  **I must have something wrong here as when I Army Builder the list it comes up over on points and he was allocating wounds like they were thunder cav on the Crisis suits so each must of had something different on each of them.

HQ - Shas'o with 2 body guards all with blacksun and TL Misslepods

Elite - Crisis x3 blacksun and TL Missle pods

Troops - Fire Warrior x6 with Devilfish

Troops - Fire Warrior x6 with Devilfish

Troops - Fire Warrior x6

Fast - Pathefinders x7

Fast - Pathefinders x7

Hvy - Broadsides x3 multi trackers I think

Hvy - Broadsides x3 multi trackers I think



Mission - Modified Capture Objective 3 Objectives (objectives are 1 Red bullseye, 2 Blue bullseye, and 3 Black bullseye in the pictures)

Deployment - Spearhead

Roll Off - Tau won and selected to go first

Combat Drug - Re-roll wounds

Terrain - a mix of scattered terrain with some area terrain to my left. The key terrain on this otherwise wide open board was the giant Witchfate Tor building on my left half way on the table.

Deployment - Tau

Tau deploy using cover and maximize the amount of railgun and missle pod spam that they can throw into my deployment zone. The foot firewarriors are in the top of the witchfate with objective 1 with some pathfinders guarding the front door.

Deployment - Dark Eldar

I deploy only 10 warriors in cover and reserve everything else

Tactical Analysis - With 6 TL railguns and all of the TL missle pods my raiders will fall fast. I have to get into him quickly. Deploying the warriors is a decoy tactic. I want him thinking of that unit and pouring fire into it instead of moving forward where his suits can get at my raiders when they come in. The witchfate Tor is the key to getting me in close.



Turn 1 Tau

My opponent takes almost 20 minutes of shuffling his models around and shooting to knock down 2 warriors.



Turn 1 Dark Eldar

15 seconds of me shooting my warriors dark lance at the only thing it could (pathfinders) and missing.



Tactical Analysis - I realize that my opponent has forgotten that my reserves can come in on my table edge as he did not move his railguns to get a good shot behind the Tor. His focus on the warriors is going as planned. I struggle not to reveal my game plan as his one unit of pathfinders by the Tor are in charge range of my table edge.

Pain Tokens - First Wracks(2) Second Wracks(2)

Turn 2 Tau

Some more shuffling of models with one fish cautiously moving to flank my warriors. Another couple of warriors drop and I pass leadership.



Turn 2 Dark Eldar

I roll for reserves and get wyches, first wracks, and my voidraven. My wyches pop up and charge the path finders. The wracks go flatout and hide behind the Tor. The voidraven comes on and hits one unit of Broadsides with everything but only kills one suit. Other shooting does nothing.

Close combat sees the wyches kill off the pathfinders and consolidate through the door into the Tor. (my opponent double checks my measurment here as he wants one wych to have her ass hanging out the door
however I rolled enough to get em all in)



Tactical Analysis - I am in a good place as long as my Wracks Raider survives I should be able to get into the full set of broadsides and start rolling up his line. My wyches will either climb the tower or go for path finders depending on my difficult terrain roll.

Pain Tokens - First Wracks(2) Second Wracks(2) wyches(1)

Turn 3 Tau

My opponent is clearly frustrated that I reserved on from the entire table edge. I feel bad as I have made that same mistake before (at Ard Boyz Semi-finals and against Space Wolf Thunderspam. It most likely keep me in 4th place instead of top 3) I believe that this frustration  caused him to not play his best. (his best is VERY good. He tells me he is a former Ard Boyz winner)

So he does not move his broadsides away and instead lights up my voidraven which is shotdown. I did not realize that smart missles do not need LOS and he shoots 3 at my wracks raider but I make a flicker save. Then he uses tape measure to touch the very tip of my wracks raider (For LOS) and gets a couple of TL missle pods off and I make another Flicker save!!!

Additionally his firewarriors at the top of the Tor move over and try to shoot up the wrack raider but fail as most cannot see the raider as it is in defilade from the high position of the tor. (good thing there are no murder slits in the overhang of the tower or more fire warriors could have shot.)



Turn 3 Dark Eldar

I get everything else in from reserves.. My Ravager comes in and instagibs a broadside while my wyches roll well and burst forth from the tower and assault the other pathfinders. My second wracks go flat out and hide behind the Tor The Wracks raider flies over the tower and lands disgorging the vicious wracks who assault the full unit of broadsides. The wyches kill the pathfinders leaving them in the open in front of the Shas'o and the crisis suits. The wracks fluff most of thier attacks and the broadsides hold.



Tactical Analysis - Things are going well, both pathfinders are down and the full unit of broadsides are locked in combat. My poor wyches are about to get lit up though. FNP does not help against all of the high strength weapons the Tau bring in. The game can still go either way.

Pain Tokens - First Wracks(2) Second Wracks(2) wyches(2)

Turn 4 Tau

The firewarriors in the tower move to the other side and shoot the wracks raider this time stunning it. The crisis suits and Shas'o shoot and then charge the wyches. The wyches loose 7 to shooting but otherwise hold killing a suit (passed leadership on morale and then tied combat) The wracks finish off the broadsides and consolidate towards the remaing Broadside. THe remaining broadside resigns itself to its fate and contemptuously shoots down my ravager. The devil fish continues to play hide and seek with my warriors picking off another.



Turn 4 Dark Eldar

First Wracks charge the last Broadside while the second Wracks go to the wyches rescue. My warriors lance fails to hit the fish (again) The combats go as expected and Broadside is killed and both suit units as well. My second wracks consolidate towards thier Raider while the remaining wych consolidates towards the Tor.



Tactical Analysis - We are almost there, However my opponent still has three troops choices 2 of which are in Fish and close to objective 2 and 3. If I do not get my troops over there I am done for despite keeping the initiative since turn 2.

Pain Tokens - First Wracks(4) Second Wracks(3) wyches(3)

Turn 5 Tau

My opponent continues to try and kill my warriors and my remaining Raiders. His firewarriors again stun my first wracks raider but luckily he fails to do anything to the second wracks raider. My warriors get shot down except for 2 left and pass morale again.



Turn 5 Dark Eldar

I load up the second wracks and flat out over to objective 2 in the middle. My wyche runs into the Tor and roll a 6 getting to third floor and another 6 for assault!!! My warriors shoot instead of running to the objective which in retrospect was a mistake. In combat my single wych kills 2 while making a FNP save in return, the fire warriors fail leadership and are ran down giving the single wych the first objective!!



Tactical Analysis - I have two of the objectives and my opponent only has 2 troops in fish left. At this point it looks like a 1-1 draw it will all depend on what he does. I made a big mistake by not moving
my warriors onto the third objective.

Pain Tokens - First Wracks(4) Second Wracks(3) wyches(4)

Turn 6 Tau

Both fish approach an objective and dump out the firewarriors. The firewarriors on objective 1 rapid fire my raider wrecking it. The other firewarriors finally finish off my 2 warriors. They now hold both objectives.



Turn 6 Dark Eldar

My wracks advance and easily kill the firewarriors taking the second objective. The game ends with me holding 2 objectives to the Tau's 1. Victory to the Dark Eldar!!



Tactical Analysis - My opponent should have moved up and dropped the firewarriors on the objectives a turn earlier. He could have then used his Fish to contest anything that I took. It was his caution that kept the game from a draw or even a minor loss to me. I should have concentrated more fire on the fish and tried to drop one early. Those TL railguns scare my poor raiders though!!

Pain Tokens - First Wracks(4) Second Wracks(4) wyches(3)

Post Game Thoughts - A good fight with mistakes made on both sides. When people talk of raiders being paper airplanes you do not really realize just how fragile they really are until you face some TL Rail guns. Both my ravager and my void Raven got smacked down without any trouble what so ever. My army otherwise performed really well and once they closed the gap the Tau were no match. MVP was the single wych who killed a FW squad and claimed the first objective single handedly.

No comments: