Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Weekend RTT - summaries and a couple of Pics

This past Saturday was a 1500pt 40k RTT at my FLGS Lost Legion Games and Comics in Charleston WV.

We had a good turn out with 17 players. The field was a good variety with BT, BA, SM, DE, Orcs, Tau, SW, CSM, and Daemons.

I played 3 good games with a minor caveat or 2.

My list Dark Eldar

Haemonoculus with venom blade, liquifier, WWP

10 wyches, hex w/agonizer, haywires raider w/flicker, Grisly Trophies

9 Wracks, Aco w/venom blade, liquifier, raider w/flicker, Grisly Trophies

10 Wracks, Aco w/venom blade, liquifier, raider w/flicker, Grisly Trophies

10 Warriors, syb, Splinter cannon, raider w/flicker, racks, Grisly Trophies

10 Warriors, syb, DL

2 Ravagers w/DLx3

First game I played Lysander and Cassius lead SM played by a guy that I only have played once before. (our last meeting was a fun and close game and this one was no exception)

SM list

Lysander
Cassius
5 Assault Termies 2LC, 3 THSS
3x 5 Marines with PW, Plasma Pistol in Asscan razorbacks
2 vindicators
1 pred AC, LC spon.

Mission - Annihilation
Deployment - Dawn of War
I won first turn and took it

Terrain - a mix of ruins and scattered trees

Pre-Game Analysis - 2 vindicators? wow I am not happy about them and they are my priority targets I must take them out. Otherwise I am going to try the WWP as I have first turn and reserve the beasts.

The game was great. My opponent and I easily and consistently penetrated or glanced each others vehicles but could not roll anything other than 1's and 2's !!

Highlights - The haemi and Wracks on turn 2 jump into their raider and then are shot down the subsequent explosion makes them fail thier pinning check on LD9 twice!!! keeping them from liquifiying and charging lysander with FC (eventually they die to a marine squad and shooting)

Vindicator shoots at pinned wracks and scatters perfectly into a big combat with wyches, wracks, and lysanders termies... I loose approx 10 models he looses nothing!!!

The beastmasters do not exit the portal until turn 4 but then blow up vindicator and kill Lysander. Cassius beast that he is holds out until the end of the game!

bottom of 6 a raider gets penned by a krak and a melta bomb. KP 7 to 6 in favor of DE and I make 2 flickers !! vindicator revvves engine and goes to ram another raider and is 1 inch out!

Dark Eldar victory!!

Post Game Analysis - A really great game. My hats off to my opponent JP both times that we have fought have been fun easy going and damn close, the best kind of game. We both had some good and bad luck and in the end it boiled down to Cassius and my raider making invulnerable saves to keep it a minor victory to the DE. The WWP has so much potential but as exhibited here the reserve rolls can kill you.

My horrible pictures (these are the only ones that I took all day)






Game 2 Chaos Daemons


Mission - Objectives 3
Deployment - Spearhead
My opponent won and gave me first turn


This game was played against a younger player, the son of my third round opponent. He had a Mono Khorne list with a Thirster and DP and masses of blood letters. I knew right away that this was a really good matchup for my army. I told him that I would not fly away from him shooting him and would instead charge into combat so he could have some fun. I also let him know that his list was not likely to do well in a tourney environment.

I will not go into detail but to say that I won by massacre. My opponent was a good sport and he felt the sting of my beastmasters. (I also was going to charge my wyches into the Thirster to see what would happen and decided to soften up with Splinter cannon warriors... he failed 4 saves and went bye bye....)

Game 3 Tau


Mission - Objectives 3
Deployment - Pitched Battle (12" line)
I won roll and took first turn


This was my second game against this opponent, last time his railguns could not get through my BA Redeemer's armour and my DC decimated his line.

Tau List

Command suit and squad (3 suits total)
3 other suits with plasma and missiles
2 broadsides
10 pathfinders
hammer head
3 10x firewarriors
1 devilfish4
crapload of Kroot and hounds

I really felt bad in this game as I offered my opponent my list and offered to go through the army unit by unit as he was unfamiliar with the new DE codex and he did not want me to saying he would learn as he went. This was a mistake. As killing the HQ was one of the bonus objectives I made it a point to let him know which raider my HQ was in. He thought this meant that the unit was not scoring causing him to lose the game.

Otherwise he played a tight game and was kicking the crap out of me. After the initial delay of my beasts through the WWP in game 1 I chose not to use the WWP which was a mistake. I have never faced Kroot before and boosted my wyches up too close which were killed. I then charged him with my beastmasters and boy no grenades make a big difference as the kroot won combat and chased off my less than 50% beasts (I got revenge by splinter fire and them running away at less than 50% as well. But those Kroot killed half my army)

In the end I held one objective to his none and won the round.

I really enjoy playing against this opponent, I just did not enjoy a win because of a misunderstanding.

So Martin next time we go through my list so we can have the same enjoyable experience at games end as we did through the rest of the game. (despite your kicking my ass :)

I took two lessons away from this game. 1. make sure that I qualify my statements when my opponent asks a question about my army. 2. against Tau use the WWP if you have any chance whatsoever and reserve those beasts!!

Oh in the end I took second place. First place was taken by 6 vendetta's 6 chimeras 5 meltavets and a melta CCS.

1 comment:

Jonathon said...

Ah, Air Cav IG rearing it's head in our meta once again. Time to bust out long fangs with Grimnar for the Tank Hunter/Relentless special.

Awesome batreps, i'm glad you did well and I look forward to facing the dark brethren sometime soon!